Pages

Monday 10 December 2012

Then and now

I had tutorial session today with my tutor where I brought in the flash cards and the new sheets I'd designed and we laid them out on the table and discussed a few things.

(I've tried to post the worksheets I've designed into this post but unfortunately the blog isn't being very co-oporative right now so I'll put them in another post to follow)

The aim of these worksheets is to engage children with the topic of mummification but to do it in the way of deep learning so that the child gets to take a more hands on approach to their 'work' which becomes more like play. Essentially, I want them to be able to learn without knowing that they're doing so. To do this, I've now decided to approach things in a slightly different way.


NEW STRUCTURE 

A change in approach.

Again.

I plan to produce an activity pack for children which will cover three sessions. Each session will be a combination of three different stages

  • A talk from myself with a slideshow (8-10 slides roughly) where I will talk about each subject area, engaging with the children through consistent 
  • A worksheet or activity where the children can be hands on, do crafts and puzzles 
  • A 'test' in the form of a fun activity to test their knowledge at the end of the session 

SESSION TOPICS


There will be 3 sessions, each of a different topic

Session 1 - Introduction to Egypt as a country, The Nile, Social ladder (farming, Pharaoh's etc) << although this may be too much to cover in one session

Session 2 - Pyramids and how they were built

Session 3 - Mummification


The reason why I've titled this post 'Then and Now' is because I've realised how much my idea has changed from what I originally intended to do. This is because my research has shown me that there are much better ways and more intellectually stimulating and fun ways to approach this topic than just handing out worksheets. I not only want the children to enjoy it in the moment, but also to be able to take something away from it and remember what they have learnt.

.............................

Action - Become much clearer with my sessions. What is it that I want to cover? Which areas of Egypt are the most covered in schools? Research into this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment