My research, particularly from the book Learning To Teach In The Primary School has helped me to formulate each lesson structure...
Rough Lesson Structure Session 1
Key Stage: 2
Teaching Group 2a, Mrs Chapman
Curriculum Subject: Introduction to Ancient Egypt
Key Vocabulary: Egypt, The Nile, Red Land, Black Land, Pyramids
Attitudes to show enthusiasm towards Egypt and eagerness to go on to the next session
Skills to be able to build a pyramid from paper straws and
Knowledge and Understanding that the Egyptians were reliant on The Nile for the yearly flood so the crops could get water and they could eat well.
Why the Egyptians built the pyramids and how they built them
This part 1 of a 3-part session, which will cover 3 lessons.
The children will be introduced to Egypt as a country, learning about The Red Land and The Black Land and the importance of The Nile.
· Intro PowerPoint (15mins) - Children will engage in a 15-20 minute interactive PowerPoint presentation
· Activity 1 (15mins) – Challenge the children to create a pyramid from paper straws in 15 minutes. Children will be split into pairs
· Activity 2 (20mins) – Egyptian Quiz Wordsearch – letters of broken words must be filled in and then found in the wordsearch
· End of session (10 mins) – Encourage children to show the pyramids they have made and show and their understanding of why they have or haven’t worked
· Use of a computer for PowerPoint purposes
· Paper straws, scissors and Selotape for pyramid building, ruler and pencil for measuring (if desired)
· Pyramid word search and Pyramid Quiz worksheet (combined – same activity)
· Art and craft
Planned Method of Assessment:
· Children’s knowledge and skills must show in results of craft based activities and worksheet challenges.
· Children will have the opportunity to show their skills in pyramid building and then present them to the class.
· Showing success in completion of Quiz Wordsearch